Top Tips on Self Tanning at Home
A healthy golden glow is flattering but, as we all know, too much sun is bad for the skin. Applying self tanning products yourself takes practice and patience. This information will help you achieve a streak-free, natural-looking tan in the privacy of your own home.
1. Exfoliate. Exfoliate you body well either the day before you plan to self tan or the next morning. Pay special attention to areas like the knees, elbows, and ankles that can be hardest to self tan evenly. Removing dead and dry skin will help to ensure that your sunless tanning product goes on smoothly and is fully absorbed.
2. Moisturise. Dry skin is the enemy of an even, natural sunless tan, so moisturise you skin well every day for the three to seven days before you self tan, as well as the morning that you plan to self tan.
3. Stay cool. Apply your sunless tanning product on cool, dry skin. If you shower or bathe first, be sure you are completely dry before you start self tanning. Also, apply your sunless tanning product in a cool, dry space (not a hot, steamy bathroom where it will be hard to keep your skin dry).
4. Ask for help. If possible, get a friend or family member to help you apply sunless tanning products. Although you can do it yourself, you are less likely to miss hard to reach spots if you have help.
5. Be patient. Applying sunless tanning products should be done slowly and methodically, progressing from one part of the body to the next so that you don’t miss any. Start with your feet and legs, and move up your body, ending with your arms.
6. Use barrier cream or mix the sunless tanning product with moisturiser before applying it to knees, elbows and ankles or just use half as much on these areas. Since they tend to absorb more of the self tanning product, knees, elbows and ankles can easily turn a shade or two darker than the rest of the body if less product or diluted product isn’t used on them. Barrier cream can be used on eyebrows and hairline and on any other area you don’t wish to tan
7. Wear gloves when applying sunless tanning products. If you don’t have or aren’t comfortable wearing gloves, wash your hands frequently (every two or three minutes) during the self-tanning process.
8. Wait for 30 minutes before getting dressed after self tanning. You can speed up the process with a blow dryer if you want to. Also, you might want to wear dark clothing initially, since some product may rub off on clothing if it is not completely dry.
9. To maintain your sunless tan as long as possible, moisturise your skin well every dry. Do not exfoliate until just before your next self tanning session, because this can rub off tanned skin, shorten the life of your tan and/or create uneven patches in your tan.
10. Take care of your self tan and it can last 7-10 days.